Welcome to the second annual PWBL "Players' Choice Awards". Due to the warm reception that this process, and the resulting awards plaques themselves, received at the end of last season, the awards are being brought back again. As everyone knows, the Rookie of the Year Award, the Cy Young Award, and the League MVP Award are all chosen by the team owners. The Batting Champion and the Home Run Champion are mathematically determined. But what about the subjective observations that we all make each week, simply as league players, about our co-competitors around the fields at Cottage Lane? We, as Palisades players, all witness great play throughout the year, and it seems like we, the players, should have an informal way of acknowledging which players are the "best" in certain ways around the diamond. With that in mind, here are nominees for the very same categories that kicked-off last years first ever "Players' Choice Awards". The League would like to acknowledge that the voting process was a success last fall, so PLEASE be classy and make your selections only once if you are an active player, or a player/fan who has faced or witnessed these players in past years. The nominees in each category are arranged in completely random order to maintain balance.
Results will be listed once the votes are all in, probably within about the next 15 days or so. As we did last fall, the winner in each category will receive a "Players' Choice Award" plaque at Awards Night on November 26th.
2016 PITCHER CATEGORIES:
1) HARDEST THROWER: Who brought the most heat, week after week?[polldaddy poll=9078782]
2) NASTIEST "STUFF": Whose individual pitches were the straight-up filthiest? [polldaddy poll=9080450]
3) BEST PITCH COMMAND: Who put their pitches right where they wanted this summer?[polldaddy poll=9080463]
4) GENERAL ACCURACY: "Zone-Pounders..."
5) "BIG GAME" PITCHER AWARD: Who would you want going with just one game to win?
6) TOUGHEST CARPET COMPETITOR: Who was the biggest pit-bull when out on the carpet this season?
7) MOST UNDERRATED HURLER: Whose mound skills weren't appreciated enough?
8) PITCHER YOU'D LEAST LIKE TO FACE: Who didn't you want to see warming up in 2016?
2016 HITTER CATEGORIES:
1) RAW POWER AWARD: The guy who had the most pop. Period.
2) BEST PURE HITTER: The Master of the Bat in 2016
3) MOST CLUTCH HITTER: Who came through this year... in big spots?
4) BEST BATTING EYE: Master of selection
5) MOST PATIENT HITTER: Who went deepest into pitch-counts?
6) TOUGHEST OUT: Like gum... on a pitcher's shoe
7) MOST IMPROVED HITTER: Check the stats. Who stepped it up over last season?
8) MOST UNDERRATED HITTER: Who raked the most... "Under the radar"
2016 DEFENSIVE CATEGORIES:
1) BEST RANGE: Guys who ran down wiffleballs...
2) MOST CONSISTENT DEFENDER: A pitcher's best friend.
3) SOFTEST HANDS: Cotton-Fingered Defenders...
2016 GENERAL CATEGORIES:
1) FAIREST COMPETITOR: Who did you turn to for the "how'd you see it" call?
2) FUNNIEST "HOT-HEAD" AWARD: Competitors who went NUTS on the field in 2016.
3) BEST TEAMMATE AWARD: No ego...no agenda... no drama.
4) PWBL "Iron-Man" AWARD: All the players with MORE than 62x regular season games played in the past 3 years.
Thanks for voting for the second annual PWBL "Players' Choice Awards"!